Sunday, August 10, 2008

The problems with updates after installing XP SP3

If any of you are using Micosoft XP as an operating system and install Service Pack 3 (SP 3), you may find that you will not be able to download further updates from Microsoft products.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is an issue. The problem is that when SP3 is installs, it forgets to register it.

Fear not, a work around is available. Follow the instructions below:

Log on as an administrator, and run cmd.exe, and issue the following commands:
> net stop wuauserv
> cd\windows\system32
> regsvr32 wups2.dll
> net start wuauserv
and try again.

This work around was kindly supplied by the Ziggy at kioskea computing community.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I've been hearing horror stories of SP3 for a few months now. First Vista comes out and breaks Windows. Then SP3 comes out and breaks ol' reliable.

Switch to Linux. (I've done that, even on my wife's computer.)

Katman said...

lol...don't tell me you're a ubuntu man!

i like to come home from work and just do what you're supposed to do online - boot up, do your stuff, close down and relax. Now that may have people screaming a me to convert but the simple fact is, I actually like how Microsoft sets out its software. It's for the masses, easy to use and reasonably cheerful. Apart from the occasional screw up, they've done a prety good job.

Now, linux lovers......I admire them but I'm afraid I can't be arsed with it. After using linux based systems in work, and the headaches it causes whilst cross platform networking, I'll sick with my jokey, but 'old slipper' comfortable OS. All 'puters in our den are MS & we have no problems.

Now Vista...I have that installed on my wifes laptop. It does look nice and part from a few diver issues, it's been ok so far. Won't be moving over to it myself :-)